Monday, February 2, 2009

Carbon Legend

I have been out in my carbon Legend for 4 times now since I got it last week. The conditions were flat. That is the preference in the 20-40 degree air temperature and 37 degree water temperature here on the Sakonnet River. Yesterday I took the exact measurements of my padding in my Kevlar Legend and applied the same padding in the waist and where my calves are for a nice fit in the carbon Legend.

The carbon legend is super light at a stated weight of 22lbs. It is the lightest boat in my fleet now. Although light, it is super stiff and seems substantial for a carbon ski. Like all super light skis, they are more tender than the same model in Kevlar or glass. The Carbon Legend is no exception. It moves around more than the Kevlar version so it is not quite as stable. While I can get away with the 6 inch rudder in the Kevlar version in all conditions, the carbon version in conditions will need the newer rudder that will be out in the next month or so. A larger rudder should settle the boat down more and improve the already great tracking qualities of the Legends.

The lightness of the boat is very noticeable in regard to speed. Bumps are easier to catch and less effort is needed to paddle faster which is why I bought the carbon version. See the Kevlar Legend Review on the web site for more info on the Legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment